Oneness Project Trustee Council

May 2003
Bozeman, Montana

May 8, 2003
2750 Prairie Smoke Road
Bozeman, MT 59715

Present: Nuria Ginger Lee, Tony Rasch, Jerry Fries, Zareen Connie Delaney, Linda Lindsay, Munir Peter Reynolds, Wayne Talmadge, Ellen Kafi-I-Mariam Fietz-Hall, Talia Marcus, Phil Notermann.  Absent: Narayan Eric Waldman.

The Council split into two committees: Events and Human Resources.

Human Resources Committee: Wayne, Linda, Phil

Events Committee: Nuria, Tony, Zareen, Kafi-i-Mariam, Talia, Munir

 

The committees reconvened at 9pm to accept motions from the full Council.  Munir: We want to establish a scholarship fund of $2,000 for Wilderness Dance Camp of ten half scholarships to be awarded by committee in early July; we would also solicit donations.  This fund is in addition to the regular Wilderness Dance Camp budget.

 

Zareen:  Move we establish a scholarship fund of $2,000 for Wilderness Dance Camp of ten half scholarships to be awarded by committee in early July; and also solicit donations.

Wayne: Second

Discussion

Munir: Call for vote, carried.

 

Lava Retreat Report

The Events Committee proposes that we publish a flyer, promote the retreat, and check with Martha about her availability.  Zareen: The scale will be established at $0-$125, and publish our cost and our need for donations.  To control food costs, we will publish a sign-up deadline and have people provide their own meals if they register after the deadline.  Nuria will contact Martha.

 

Montana Family Camp

Tony:  Propose to make Montana Family Camp a Oneness event contingent on agreement of Bozeman & Hamilton communities.  Reasons:  To have OP financial backing & assistance/guidelines with administering scholarships & OP subsidizing children’s program.  Tony: OP assumes the financial responsibility and assistance with administering scholarships.

 

Nuria: Move Oneness Project will provide a safety-net loan to Montana Winter Family Camp 2004

Jerry: Second

Carried

 

The session ended with dancing.

 

May 9, 2003; 9am

The session commenced with dancing.

Present: Nuria Ginger Lee, Tony Rasch, Jerry Fries, Zareen Connie Delaney, Linda Lindsay, Munir Peter Reynolds, Wayne Talmadge, Ellen Kafi-I-Mariam Fietz-Hall, Talia Marcus, Phil Notermann, Nancy Stetter.  Absent: Narayan Eric Waldman.

 

Board Development Session with Nancy Stetter

Presentation of Waterline Model of group interaction

 

May 9, 2003

Friday Afternoon

Present: Narayan Eric Waldman, Tony Rasch, Jerry Fries, Zareen Connie Delaney, Linda Lindsay, Munir Peter Reynolds, Wayne Talmadge, Ellen Kafi-I-Mariam Fietz-Hall, Talia Marcus, Phil Notermann.  Absent: Ginger Nuria Lee.

 

Deep Listening Coach: Jerry Fries volunteered

Chair meeting: Munir Peter Reynolds

 

Jerry: Move December 2002 minutes be approved.

Linda: Second: Linda

Discussion:  Talia suggests correction of double tithe to NANDUP.  Jerry: question concerning OP task calendar. 

Call for vote.

Approved without understanding.

 

Committee Reports

 

Wilderness Dance Camp 2003

Munir: It required most of the fall and part of winter to find a camp.  We have raised the registration fee by $35 and still project a loss.  There are contingency line items in the budget to address event losses.

Guy Benintendi’s Proposals

Munir: I would describe Guy’s efforts at camp as socio-emotional facilitator with several processes proposed.  The Council felt Guy’s suggestions were within the scope of the Spiritual Director to approve or amend. Munir: Intend to make this a more contemplative focused camp. 

 

Human Resources Committee

Wayne:  Jerry Fries will serve as chair of HR Committee. List of volunteers will be entered into a spreadsheet with contact info & interest/skills. Question re PW mailing list to use & identify volunteers. Add event-specific skills to volunteer survey. Trustee survey will be administered before the next TC meeting schedule for September 2003.

 

Policy Manual

Discussion

By Laws Change re: Interested Directors

Discussion

 

Grants Committee

 

Jerry: Move the TC approve grant committee’s recommendations

Linda: Second

Discussion: Tony: How does the NZ effort result in establishing dance communities?  LL; They are going into institution once a week for 40 weeks. 

Motion carried.

 

Dance Leader Training Program

Discussion

 

Jerry: Move: The TC accepts KM’s resignation and contract with Ginger Nuria Lee to fill the position.

Zareen: Second

Carried w/ 1 abstention

 

Children’s Art Requirement in Project Grant Application

 

Tom Braveheart Fund Guidelines

 

One time “Service to the Field” Grant

 

Jerry: Move we send a gift to Abwoon account at Shalem in the amount of $5000.

Zareen: Second

Carried

 

Allaudin Sufi Choir Grant

 

Zareen: Move that Oneness Project make up to $4000 no-interest loan to Cold Mountain Music for the purpose of reissuing the “Best of the Sufi Choir” no interest loan to be repaid biannually. All profits from this product’s sales are to be used to retire this loan at the earliest possible date. Oneness Project will also give $500 for production oversight for the same project.

Jerry: Second

Discussion

Carried unanimously

 

Friday Evening

Present: Narayan Eric Waldman, Tony Rasch, Jerry Fries, Zareen Connie Delaney, Linda Lindsay, Munir Peter Reynolds, Wayne Talmadge, Ellen Kafi-I-Mariam Fietz-Hall, Talia Marcus, Phil Notermann.  Absent: Ginger Nuria Lee.

 

Financial Report

Tony Rasch, Treasurer, presented Asset/Liability report and Income & Expense Report 

Discussion. 

 

Safety Net Grants to California Quarterly

 

Tony: Move OP offer up to a $1000 one-time loan to fund the California quarterly October2003 event

Jerry: Second

Carried

 

Communications

Music

The session ended with dancing.

 

May 10, 2003

Meeting convened 9:30 am with dancing

 

Present: Narayan Eric Waldman, Tony Rasch, Jerry Fries, Linda Lindsay, Zareen Connie Delaney, Phil Notermann, Wayne Talmadge, Talia Marcus, Munir Peter Reynolds, Kaf-i-Mariam, Nancy Stetter  Absent: Nuria Ginger Lee

 

OP Goals & Future

Nancy Stetter served as facilitator of the brainstorming session.  She established a “Be, Do, Have” framework as the basis for the session.

 

“BE”

Growth/spiritual development – Essence of dance leader

Dynamic force of change; commitment to self-understanding; dances are a means not an end

Why “eat, dance and pray together?”  Be clear, not politically correct.

What is deep sense of connection?

Dynamic, smooth running organization that many people want to be a part of.

Atmosphere of inquiry.

Do we want OP to actually sponsor events, or offer support for others’ programs?

Not membership, therefore OP is a facilitator

“Holy Spirit will speak to people in whatever language they can understand” Course in Miracles

Allow the Universe to operate on a more organic level

The “good feeling” that comes from the “deep sense of connection” is a gateway to Self-discovery that is available at dance events

 

“DO”

Other venues (youth, colleges)

Tony: Use all of our generated income vs building up capital; hoping for more requests for grants from all over; resurrection of caravan & spend more money to avoid burnout thereby juicing up smaller communities; establish camps all over by offering subsidies of, e.g., child care or scholarship fund; policy about using unused monies at close of year. Promote grant requests; increase staff to support greater outreach

Talia: Camp/potluck cookbook with quotes & 1 CD for cooking, 1 for eating

Zareen: Transcribing the teachers’ talks

Linda: How-to manual for staging retreats; bring/sponsor leaders from other parts of the world; more events, outreach to other groups

Jerry: Continue to refine meeting procedures; more board development

Phil Greater youth focus; look at where it is working & figure out why

Narayan: Revive LDR & get it on a schedule

Munir: psyched about youth; Ruhaniat events; it is quickening there are young people feel we should support these activities because it is the core out of which the Dances came; even though it is outside

Talia Marcus: Consider supporting the Abode (Sufi order summer camp)

Zareen: Staff development, get more staff

Talia: support dance leaders who specialize in leading dances for differently-abled persons via Braveheart fund

Talia: create product: mugs, hats, dancing capes, retreat slippers, etc.

 

“HAVE”

Kafi-i-Mariam a good time

More requests for grants than we can fill

Outreach for grants

Established camps w/ childcare

Many more people dancing of diverse generations

Well-functioning staff that manages volunteers so that when a task arises & we delegate it, it is done

Sponsor a leader-training event for young people

Musical instruments available as gifts to eligible persons

Active at more types of conferences

Well-developed Board

Confidentiality about personal issues

Have TC council members, committees, etc. do person check-ins; stay in touch

Be clear that it is a brainstorming session & that no decisions have been made before this is circulated to attendees.

Munir: We need to decide about our next meeting.

Tony: We have a lot of new business as a result of this session so maybe it makes sense to have the meeting in September.

When each of you get a copy of this prioritize items in each section as to your top 5 or ten.

Munir: How do people feel about having a Sept meeting for the purpose of long-range planning?  (Discussion) 

The two dates being considered for the board meeting are October 31, 2003 through November 2 or November 6-8.  One or the other will be determined via email communication. 

The meeting was concluded with dancing.